How NOT to Behave When Coaching Young Athletes
Of course no coach is perfect.You don’t want to label or leave a coach after his or her first mistake. But certain signs warn you of bad coaching.
If you see consistent evidence of these signs in a coach you know – steer clear of them. If this sounds like your coach, you should consider finding another coach. If this sounds like you, you are probably in the wrong job.
Warning Signs of Poor Coaching
- The coach uses profanity.
- The coach argues with referees or officials.
- The coach criticizes athletes, not their behaviours.
- The coach won’t listen to athletes or parents.
- The coach allows cheating.
- The coach makes winning the only goal.
- The coach ignores lesser skilled players.
- The coach makes you feel worthy only when you win.
Can you add to this list?
Is there anything that you would add to this list? Let me know. I would love to hear from you.
You can listen to me chat about this article on the Anchor app here.
Darren Wensor is a sports development professional, coach educator, specialist coach of young athletes and founder of the blog coachingyoungathletes.com. Learn more about him here and connect with him on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin , Anchor or via email.